Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Devil Wears Prada / The Notebook / Happy Feet / Pan's Labyrinth

The Devil Wears Prada **1/2 - A bit long, Meryl is terrific but I question the 3rd act’s morally reprehensible behavior by our main character. Didn’t agree with all the attention Emily Blunt was given (however, I did like her and look forward to seeing more of her work), but perhaps had I seen it before the hype I’d feel different. Such is the burden when seeing films *way* after they've been released.

The Notebook ***1/2 - In spite of myself I absolutely love this film. Rachel McAdams is fantastic and I will seek out more of her work. Gorgeous score by Aaron Zigman.

Happy Feet ** - So didn’t deserve a Best Animanted Film Oscar – Monster House and Cars were each twice as good. I found it long and boring.

Pan’s Labyrinth **1/2 - I wish I had seen this before the hype. I liked its visuals and story, but it seemed slow and not in that savory good way. I wanted more mysticism and fantasy to balance out the war story, but maybe on a second viewing I’ll appreciate it more.

No comments: