Sunday, May 18, 2008

I, Robot / Interview With A Vampire / Man on the Moon / The Matrix: Revolutions / The Last Starfighter

I, Robot - ***

I found this film to be a visually exciting Will Smith vehicle in his traditional summer blockbuster/popcorn movie-esqe way. I know I screened this a few years ago but don't remember liking it this much. Similar in style to "Minority Report" in it's futuristic look, the film holds up well on for what it is, but is not as original as director Alex Proyas's "Dark City." He would be well suited for a comic adaptation.


Interview With The Vampire - ***
I always find myself going back and forth in regards to Tom Cruise's performance. I would have really liked to see him portray Lestat one more time, to see if he was on to something or completely missed the mark. Having never read any of the novels, I have nothing to base his performance on other than how it comes across on screen. Brad Pitt and Kirsten Dunst, however, always good in their respective roles as Louis and Claudia.


The Man on the Moon - **1/2
Jim Carrey's interpretation of Andy Kaufmann plays well on-screen, but my being unfamiliar with Kaufmann's work made this seem like a standard bio pic that leaves a lot of questions open, which apparently is how Kaufmann liked to leave his audience.


The Matrix: Revolutions - **
I love the "The Matrix." My admiration for "The Matrix: Reloaded" grows everytime I screen it. However, 'Revolutions' is always disappointing. Technically and visually impressive, the story falls flat it it's conclusion and by the end I just don't care what's happening in Zion and I just want to go back to the Matrix.


The Last Starfighter - ***
I hold a deep affection for this film as it was a favorite of mine as a young teen. The story is simple and to the point in it's "teen recruited by a video-game to save the universe" way. As high-concept as the plot may be (and arguibly similar to "Tron"minus the biblical pretense), I just find this film to be charming (but too soft-focused in several scenes). Yes, it's cheesy, corny, and campy when viewed by a "Matrix" audience, but it's charm still holds up. I could easily see this film becoming a TV series someday, a la "Battlestar Galactica."

No comments: