Monday, October 15, 2012

October

Twilight - *1/2
This was as bad as I remembered it being when I first viewed it a few years ago. When I first heard about it, most people mentioned Kristen Stewart's acting and it seemed *awful* when I actually saw the film, but after reading the books I understand that's how the character was written (i.e., awful), as if one were reading a tweenager's diary. I don't see how most people could follow this film w/o reading the book as director Catherine Hardwicke had a lot of people making weird pained faces and she must have assumed her audience would know what four pages from the book transferred into each look or gesture. The effects of Edward running while carrying Bella in the woods were *awful* and reminded me of the mountain climber from The Price Is Right. After reading the book, I was disappointed that Edward's family wasn't utilized more in this film. Nearly all of them were more interesting than Bella or Edward.

The Twilight Saga: New Moon - **1/2
I was surprised to find that I actually liked the second book in the Twilight Saga and had my hopes higher (as in hoping it wouldn't suck) for this sequel. Overall this film is an improvement and I was glad to see more of Edward's family. #TeamAlice

The Twilight Saga: Eclipse - **1/2
Not an improvement on the formula but held my interest and was a good adaptation. #StillTeamAlice

The Twilight Saga: Breaking Dawn, Part 1 - **1/2
See review above.

Blade Runner: The Final Cut - ***1/2 (no link to IMDB for this version)
It had been so long since I'd seen the Director's Cut of this film that I didn't really notice any huge differences. I regret not screening the originals just prior to this viewing and will probably set aside a week next year to view all versions over a few nights. In any version, it's still one of my favorite films and I hate to believe that my affection will dissipate over repeated viewings so I keep them to a minimum and just relive some of the visuals through the soundtrack/score on my iPod.

Dracula (1931) - **1/2
Kind of a boring movie (fitting, as I feel the same way about the book), but for '31 it was pioneering for its visual style. And has there ever really been another Dracula that can compare to Lugosi's? I probably would have enjoyed this more as an 8 year-old. Also, as it's more of an adaption of the play than the book, when it's not being ominous with its visuals, it's being very stagy in its presentation.

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo (2009) - ***
I've held off seeing this for years as I had meant to get to the books first. That didn't happen so I just decided to dive in and I'm glad I did and was upset for putting it off. Great story, performances and some fantastic visual shots of real locations. This was not made in a Hollywood studio and it shows. Noomi Rapace is fantastic and if you need only one reason to watch this film, she's the reason.story

Phantom of the Opera at Royal Albert Hall - ***1/2
I've been a fan of this musical since the first listen and had never seen a stage adaptation until this one. I tried to judge it as a production in and of itself, but it's difficult not to compare any version when you've heard the  Broadway recording hundreds of times. I was totally drawn in from the opening notes and barely moved through the entire show. And stay tuned after the show for a few surprises!!!


Due Date - **
I didn't think this film was very funny at all (a couple laughs, at best). Zach Galifianakis does have a particularly wonderful dramatic scene in a bathroom and a few other moments that shows he's far too good for this generic road film. It seemed to try for dark humor but couldn't balance being mean while also trying to be likable.

Constantine - ***1/2
I know I screened this back in '05 or '06 but somehow forgot most of what it was about. I read a few of the comics about a decade ago and have no recollection of them either, except that I remember enjoying them. I have no excuse as to why I forgot how great this overlooked film compares to modern comic book adaptations. I still think Keanu is miscast but certainly doesn't do the material any disservice. Great effects and a fun story make this a must-see whether you've read the comics or not (it may actually help if you haven't, as Reeve's casting may then not be an issue with you).

No comments: