Tuesday, July 13, 2004

Open Range - ***

I was surprised that I liked it as much as I did. Sure it's Rio Bravo meets Unforgiven meets every other western plot ever, but it's still done well enough that I was never bored. It's not masterful filmmaking like Costern's 'Dances With Wolves' but he does fare much better here than 'The Postman' or his uncredited work as a director in 'Waterworld.' As an actor, Costner holds the screen well enough, yet it's his few comedic moments that shows he return to something more light, a la 'Bull Durham' and 'Tin Cup'.

PS - Just when I thought the sound wasn't very good for a DTS track, the thunder from a storm scene kicked in -- the subwoofer nearly blew me right off the sofa (granted the sub sits directly behind the sofa, but still...) Just a reminder to everyone that DTS rules!

No comments: