Tuesday, July 10, 2007

The Island / Kiss Kiss Bang Bang / Tenacious D in: The Pick of Destiny

"The Island" ** - If I were to have $100 million dollars and want to produce an action film, I'd hire Michale Bay. To be my stunt coordinator, not director. I truly believe the man has a gift for action sequences, but gets far too caught up in them and ignores, what I feel to be crucial, narrative and characters. I don't know if he chooses films with poor dialogue or changes them to his liking once hired but something is wrong when I film can look so good and sound so bad.

Were the $100 million dream come true, I'd most certainly hire Scarlett Johansson to do... something, even if it's just to be there and talk.


"Kiss Kiss Bang Bang" *** - I wish I'd made notes during or at least right after this screening. Regardless, Writer/Director Shane Black is something I will most definitely be watching in the future. He wrote the first Lethal Weapon script, The Last Boy Scout, The Last Action Hero (which I like to believe was written for Willis) and The Long Kiss Goodnight. I don't remember The Last Action Hero being all that well written, but I did like the concept and I feel The Long Kiss Goodnight is highly underrated. I may need to screen that again soon. Anyway, The cast is great, the story interesting and the dialogue fantastic.

"Tenacious D in: The Pick of Destiny" **1/2 - If you're a fan, it's worth seeing. If you're not familiar with their music but like Jack Black, then it's a must see as you get to witness why he became famous in the first place. Kyle Gass is still my personal fave as I think he has great comedic skills that are so overshadowed by Black. I felt the songs were good but didn't seem like a good listen outside of the film. I wish I could have seen them live 10 years ago.

No comments: