Friday, October 31, 2008

October Screenings

Soldier's Girl - ***

I Think I Do - ***

Camp - **1/2

The Mostly Unfabulous Social Life of Ethan Green - **1/2

Milwaukee, Minnesota - **1/2

Gone Baby Gone - ***

Iron Man - ***

The Incredible Hulk - ***
As good as Iron Man... This reaction may be based on the fact that I didn't see Iron Man until this month after hearing from everyone that it was great and hearing that 'Hulk' wasn't good. Pishaw.

Superman: Doomsday - **1/2
I enjoyed this too, but I never read the comic so I really have no basis of judgment other than it seems as good as the other WB animation shows, none of which I followed too closely.

Batman: Gotham Knight - ***
If you're into animation, check this out. It's kinda like the Animatrix films, but better.

Tank Girl - ***
I *loved* this film upon its initial release but it has lost some of its zeal. Why why why didn't Lori Petty become more famous. Love Her.

House of D - **1/2

Speed Racer - ***
I liked this *a lot*! Maybe my standards were so low because everything I read/heard said it sucked. It’s all eye candy and needs to be seen on a big-screen but it’s fun and really uniquely visual. Too bad WB lost so much money on it.

Forgetting Sarah Marshall - *** Kristin Bell had the impossible job of playing a bitch who we had to actually care for and she did an amazing job. A very well-layered film both in performances and script but not quite as funny as people have led me to believe—it’s no “40 year-old virgin”. Paul Rudd still steals every movie he’s in and when two men are allowed to marry, I will propose to him.

Indiana Jones and the Kingdom of the Crystal Skull - ***
Yes, I liked it. It's good. Stop complaining. I don’t care what people say. Yes, it’s not as good story as “Raiders” but it’s still an “Indy” film. Solidly made and Shia LaBouf is great as well as Kate Blanchett.

Southland Tales - **1/2 If you thought Donnie Darko was odd… I still can’t explain this and it’s one of those you have to see for yourself. It’s not bad, just weird and very non-linear. It might have started out fine then somebody lost a few pages of the script and nobody bothered to look for them…

No comments: