Sunday, November 30, 2008

November Screenings

The Incredible Hulk - *** (As good as Iron Man... This reaction may be based on the fact that I didn't see Iron Man until this month after hearing from everyone that it was great and hearing that 'Hulk' wasn't good. Pishaw.)

Tank Girl - *** (I *loved* this film upon its initial release but it has lost some of its zeal. Why why why didn't Lori Petty become more famous. Love Her.)

Star Wars: The Clone Wars - **1/2 (It's not my generation's Star Wars anymore... *sigh* Oh, well. If this is what the kids want/like, I'll sit quietly and make try to make peace with Lucas on my deathbed.)

Get Smart - *** God I love it when someone so attractive makes me laugh so hard… and Anne Hathaway’s pretty good too.

Sunshine - *** (1st 2 acts are great, falls apart in the 3rd, but still enjoyable and shows the great range of Danny Boyle as a director.)

The Philadelphia Story - ****

Bringing Up Baby -****

The Sound of Music - ****

From Hell – Heather Graham isn’t as bad as I remember so I liked it more this time than I probably have in the past. Fantastic production design.

Pennies from Heaven - ***1/2 I haven't seen this since the early 90’s and after seeing it on a big screen, it’s the “Moulin Rouge” of its day. Truly a unique film and one which must fall under the “love it or hate it” category. I love it.

Dr. Zhivago - ****

Funny Girl - ***1/2 Man do I love me some "early" Streisand.

The Way We Were *** - A solid film from director Sydney Pollack and holds up well since I screened it in college.

Hello Dolly - **1/2 I liked it when I was discovering “Babs” in college, but see it was wrong to cast her in this. She shows up only to sing. Walter Matthaeu (too lazy to look up spelling) is still great. Michael Crawford is so over the top and I’ve always thought so and it’s still ridiculous.

X-Men - *** Hugh Jackman is forever Wolverine.

X2: Evolution - ***1/2 One of the few examples where the sequel is better than the 1st.

X3: The Last Stand - **1/2 So disappointing… this trilogy rates the same for me as the 1st Star Wars trilogy (i.e. 2, 1, 3).

Fame - **
I probably would have liked this had I seen it as a kid, but as an adult, it was just dumb.

1 comment:

Dunkproductions said...

Also didn't you think the end of X3 stole the end of Buffy Season 2?